Note: Ignite Films released the Limited Edition of this title last December, which came with a slipcover and a 20-page essay on the film's "nightmarish" restoration process. The release I'm covering today is the standard edition, which has all of the same extras, but is missing the essay and slipcover (unless you order a copy directly from Ignite Films' online shop)!
I've got to be 100% honest here Vault Dwellers: I have never seen the original INVADERS FROM MARS! Unbelievable, right?! The Tobe Hooper remake from 1986 is a personal favorite of mine that I revisit every so often, but I just never got around to watching its predecessor! With Ignite Films (a company that's been around since the early 90s, but is only just now dipping a toe into the realm of physical media) releasing INVADERS on 4K disc next week, I think it's about damned time I remedy this injustice! So come with me to "Copper Hill" my fellow disc maniacs, for a closer look at one of the most highly anticipated boutique releases of this year!
Synopsis: In the early 1950s, Cold War tensions and the burgeoning space race created a heady mix of paranoia and unbridled creativity as filmmakers speculated as to the marvels – and horrors – that lay beyond the stars. Among those leading the charge, William Cameron Menzies’ (THINGS TO COME) INVADERS FROM MARS terrified audiences upon its release in 1953 with its chilling vision of an insidious alien attack on small-town Americana.
On a dark and stormy night, a young boy, David McLean (Jimmy Hunt, PITFALL), observes what appears to be a flying saucer crash-landing in his town. Shortly thereafter, the grown-ups – including his own parents – begin acting decidedly strangely. Convinced there’s a link between this epidemic of bizarre behavior and what he witnessed that night, David turns to local health official Dr. Blake (Helena Carter, KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE) for help. But can these two unlikely heroes, together with famed astronomer Dr. Kelston (Arthur Franz, THE CAINE MUTINY), withstand the might of a full-blown invasion from outer space?
A landmark in sci-fi cinema, INVADERS FROM MARS inspired filmmakers as wide-ranging as Don Coscarelli (the PHANTASM series), Brad Bird (THE IRON GIANT) and John Carpenter (THE THING). Now fully restored for its 70th anniversary, this trend-setting Atom Age classic unleashes its spine-tingling terror on a whole new generation of filmgoers in this brand new remastered presentation!
Not Rated | Color | 78 minutes | Region Free (4K disc), Region A (Blu-ray)
Video - 2160p Academy Ratio (1.37:1)
Audio - English & Spanish DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Mono
- Interviews with star Jimmy Hunt, William Cameron Menzies' biographer James Curtis, and recollections of Menzies' eldest granddaughter Pamela Lauesen!
- Featurette with acclaimed film directors John Landis, Joe Dante, editor Mark Goldblatt, special visual effects artist and two-time Oscar Winner Robert Skotak (foremost expert on Invaders from Mars), and enthusiast and film preservationist Scott MacQueen!
- John Sayles' introduction at Turner Classic Movie Festival in Hollywood, April 2022!
- Before/after clips of restoration – original negative and archival film elements - with film restoration supervisor Scott MacQueen!
- Restored segments in 2K of the Alternate International Version -- alternative ending and extended Planetarium scene!
- Gallery with original Press Book pages, behind the scenes photos from the restoration process!
- Restored 4K original 1953 trailer AND a newly commissioned trailer 2022!
Ignite Films' 4K UHD (and Blu-ray) of INVADERS FROM MARS will be available to purchase at most online retailers on Tuesday, July 11th, and should cost between $33 - $44! You can order a copy right now from AMAZON, BULL MOOSE, DIABOLIK DVD, or get INVADERS directly from IGNITE FILMS, which should net you an exclusive slipcover!