ON JULY 19TH, SCREAM FACTORY RELEASES THE LAST "RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD" BLU-RAY RELEASE YOU'LL EVER HAVE TO BUY! IT'S TIME FOR AN UPGRADE ZOMBIE FANS!
Ho-lee crap! I knew this title was coming from Scream Factory later this year but never did I think that it'd be on par with Scream Factory's outstanding 3-disc ARMY OF DARKNESS release! Read onward and try not to drool too much Vault Dwellers!
Film Synopsis: Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the cemetery, those brain-eating zombies are back and hungry for more tasty mortals! A fiendish mix of outrageous humor and heart-stopping terror, THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD is a veritable smorgasbord of fun (LA Herald-Examiner) filled with skin-crawling jolts, eye-popping visuals and relentless surprise!
On his first day on the job in a medical supply warehouse, poor Freddy (Thom Matthews) unwittingly releases nerve gas from a secret U.S. military canister, unleashing an unbelievable terror. The gas re-animates an army of corpses, who arise from their graves with a ravenous hunger for human brains! And luckily for those carnivorous cadavers, there is a group of partying teens nearby, just waiting for their brains to be devoured!
Writer/director Dan O’Bannon (ALIEN, LIFEFORCE) puts an uproarious spin on the zombie apocalypse movie in 1985’s cult classic THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD, starring Clu Gulager (A NIGHTMARE ON ELM ST. 2: FREDDY'S REVENGE, FEAST), James Karen (MULHOLLAND DRIVE, INVADERS FROM MARS), and Don Calfa (WEEKEND AT BERNIE'S).
Considered one of the campiest undead romps of its time, the film helped launch the career of scream queen Linnea Quigley (NIGHT OF THE DEMONS, SORORITY GIRLS IN THE SLIMEBALL BOWL-O-RAMA) and features a killer soundtrack with tracks from many songs from punk artists such as The Cramps, T.S.O.L. SSQ and 45 Grave.
Color | Rated R | 91 minutes | Region A
Video - 1080p Widescreen (1.85:1)
Audio - DTS-HD Master Audio Stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1!
Disc 1 Extras:
- NEW 2K scan of the inter-positive
- NEW Audio Commentary with Gary Smart (co-author of The Complete History of the Return of the Living Dead) and Chris Griffiths.
- Audio Commentary with director Dan O’Bannon and Production Designer William Stout
- Audio Commentary with the cast and crew featuring Production Designer William Stout and actors Don Calfa, Linnea Quigley, Brian Peck, Beverly Randolph, Allan Trautman
- The Decade of Darkness – featurette on ‘80s horror films (23 minutes)
- Theatrical Trailers
- TV Spots
- Still Gallery – Posters, Lobby Cards, Movie Stills and Behind-the-Scenes photos
- Still Gallery – Behind-the-Scenes photos from special make-up effects artist Kenny Myers’ personal collection
- Zombie Subtitles for the Film
- In Their Own Words – The Zombies Speak
Disc 2 Extras:
- NEW! The FX of the Living Dead with Production Designer William Stout, FX make-up artists William Munns, Tony Gardner, Kenny Myers and Craig Caton-Largnet, Visual Effects artists Bret Mixon and Gene Warren Jr. and actor Brian Peck (Expanded Version) (30 minutes)
- NEW! Party Time: The Music of The Return of the Living Dead with music consultants Budd Carr and Steve Pross and soundtrack artists Dinah Cancer (45 Grave), Chris D (The Flesh Eaters), Roky Erickson, Karl Moet (SSQ), Joe Wood (T.S.O.L.), Mark Robertson (Tall Boys) plus musicians Greg Hetson (Circle Jerks) and John Sox (The F.U.’s, Straw Dogs), (Expanded Version) (30 minutes)
- NEW! HORROR’S HALLOWED GROUNDS – revisiting the locations of the film
- Return of the Living Dead Workprint – includes 20 minutes of additional footage (in Standard Definition)
- More Brains: A Return to the Living Dead – The definitive documentary on The Return of the Living Dead (120 minutes)
- A Conversation with Dan O’Bannon – His final interview (28 minutes)
- The Origins of the Living Dead - an interview with John A. Russo (16 minutes)
- The Return of the Living Dead – The Dead Have Risen – interviews with cast members Clu Gulager, James Karen, Don Calfa, Brian Peck, Thom Mathews, Beverly Randolph, Linnea Quigley and more… (21 minutes)
- Designing the Dead – interviews with writer/director Dan O’Bannon and production designer William Stout (15 minutes)
Once again it is due out on July 19th, and you can order it now from AMAZON.COM, or get it directly from SHOUT! FACTORY! If you choose the latter method, you will receive your RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD goodness TWO WEEKS EARLY with an 18 x 24 poster of the new cover art!
Note: There was a Deluxe Edition of this available for pre-order, but it is SOLD OUT. The only difference between the deluxe and standard release was the inclusion of a second poster and alternate slipcover art by Joel Robinson, that would have shipped three weeks early.
Though it's not a guarantee, if you missed out on this, you can try to e-mail the powers that be at Shout! Factory (email@example.com) and get yourself on the cancellation list. So in the event that someone changes their mind and cancels their order, you could benefit!