In the time I knew him, James was pure inspiration: A devout family man, he was passionate about all things Horror, and overflowing with positive energy. Jimmy's enthusiasm was infectious, and everyone (including Jimmy himself) truly thought that he was going to come out on top in the end.
But the tide suddenly turned a few weeks ago, and now the world seems a bit darker without him. Jimmy was one of a kind - a diamond in the rough. He was the sort of person (and Horror fan) that the rest of us all aspired to be.
Since his passing, I've seen an enormous outpouring of love and sorrow on social media. It is absolutely incredible how many lives Jimmy has touched in his short time here on Earth, so it comes as no surprise that many are rallying to help his family and keep his memory alive!
Here is a list (thus far) of various folks in the Horror community that are doing special film screenings, art prints, t-shirts, and more to raise funds for the Harris clan. I'll try and keep it all updated and current as events are announced:
- Hudson Horror Show's Chris Alo hosted a late-night Italian Horror double feature on Saturday May 6th at the Empire South Hills 8 in Poughkeepsie, NY. The event featured TWO mystery Italian Horror films in 35mm! Between ticket, merchandise, and raffle ticket sales, a total of $2,000 was donated!
- Quiltface Studios' Chris Garofalo did a GoFundMe campaign to raise funds for a limited edition art print that pays tribute to James Harris. All proceeds from the sale of the Doc Terror art prints will go to Jimmy's family. The thousand dollar goal was surpassed by quite a bit, so if you donated to the campaign, you will get your very own Doc Terror print! Contact Danny over at The SHOCK Chamber with your mailing address to ensure you get one!
- The gentlemen at Vinegar Syndrome did a silent auction, and the winner (who spent a whopping THREE-THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!) got themselves a single MASSIVE package that will include all of VinSyn's releases from May thru the end of the year (including all secret and limited titles), a film canister with a VS shirt, VS hoodie and other added surprises inside. Congrats to the winner - thank you for your generosity!
- For one week only, pre-order FRIGHT RAGS' Tribute tee to Jimmy "Doc Terror" Harris, designed by the uber-talented Jeff Zornow! The t-shirt is $20, and the hoodie is $40, and all proceeds will go to the James' family. CLICK HERE to get yours now!
- The folks from Exhumed Films dedicated Ex-Fest: Part VII to James. The event took place at the International House in Philadelphia, PA on Saturday, April 29th!
- I've also heard that the folks that put on the Italian All-Night Splatter Fest at The Colonial Theater in Phoenixville, PA are dedicating their next big event in honor of Jimmy Terror. More details when I get them!
- Chad from The Horror Movie BBQ is currently putting on a charity raffle to raise money for Jimmy's family. CLICK HERE to enter to win hundreds of dollars in DVDs, Blu-rays, posters, action figures, artwork, and other horror collectibles! Donate $10 for each "raffle ticket" (no limit!), but do so by June 2nd! Three winners will be announced shortly after the cut-off date, and ALL proceeds from ticket sales will go directly to James' wife and daughters!
- On Friday, May 26th at 7:30 PM, head to The Alamo Drafthouse in Yonkers, NY for a James Harris Memorial Screening of CREEPSHOW! Tickets are a mere $12.00, and get you in for a 35mm screening of Jimmy's all-time favorite Horror flick! Quiltface Studios, Fright-Rags and Vinegar Syndrome will have merchandise for sale, and there will be raffle items from Mondo and NECA with proceeds benefitting the family!
- Danny "Mozz" Monserrate from The SHOCK Chamber started up a GoFundMe for James last March. CLICK HERE to visit the page and make a donation.
- Dan Terr of Inked Up Merch will be selling more Doc Terror beanies and baseball caps to raise money for Jimmy's family. The first batch has sold out - but more are now available!
Further details (and hopefully more new events) will be posted soon. In the meantime, explore Jimmy's legacy on the web:
DOCTERROR.COM - Jimmy's home base on the internet. Even as his health deteriorated, he continued plugging away at it.
HORRORSEXY.COM - Home of the HorrorSexy podcast and the short-lived HorrorSexy Web-mag.
DOC TERROR YOUTUBE CHANNEL - Those 8-bit Horror game previews James and Frank Browning created are to die for!
CINEPUNX INTERVIEW WITH DOC TERROR - Cool interview with Doc Terror!
Jimmy, it was a distinct honor to call you my friend. I miss you terribly, but hope that someday, in some way, our paths will cross again. Rest in peace my friend, and thank you for being a shining example for so many of us.