ON JULY 3RD, ARROW VIDEO GATHERS THE FIVE ORIGINAL SARTANA FILMS TOGETHER IN ONE BEAUTIFUL, LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY COLLECTION!
ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST was the film that got me hooked on Spaghetti Westerns. Soon after that I watched Sergio Leone's MAN WITH NO NAME TRILOGY, THE SABATA TRILOGY, DJANGO, the TRINITY films (featuring Terrence Hill and Bud Court), and various others from the sub-genre. But I still have yet to watch a single Sartana flick, which makes this set a definite must-own for yours truly! But if you want it, you better act fast because this set is limited to 2,500 copies!
About The Complete Sartana: Clint Eastwood’s Man with No Name spawned imitations, variations and shameless rip-offs keen to emulate his success at the box office. Within months of A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS’ release, Giuliano Gemma was playing RINGO, who was then followed by Franco Nero’s DJANGO, Tony Anthony’s THE STRANGER, and Gianni Garko’s SARTANA – each providing their own twist on the Eastwood antihero, and each of them then subject to their own spate of unofficial sequels, spoofs and cash-ins.
Sartana tapped into more than just his Spaghetti Western predecessors – a mysterious figure, he has a spectral quality, aided by his Count Dracula-like cloak which also nods towards comic strip figure Mandrake the Magician, with whom he shares he shares a penchant for card tricks. He takes pride in his appearance unlike the Eastwood’s dusty wanderer or Nero’s mud-caked drifter. And there’s a dose of James Bond too in his fondness for gadgetry and the droll sense of humor.
Unsurprisingly, this unique figure in the genre was treated to four official follow-ups. THE COMPLETE SARTANA collects all five films, presented here in brand-new restorations: IF YOU MEET SARTANA... PRAY FOR YOUR DEATH, I AM SARTANA YOUR ANGEL OF DEATH, HAVE A GOOD FUNERAL MY FRIEND... SARTANA WILL PAY, LIGHT THE FUSE... SARTANA IS COMING, and SARTANA'S HERE... TRADE YOUR PISTOL FOR A COFFIN, in which George Hilton replaced Garko in the lead role.
Not Rated | Color | 466 minutes (total run-time of all five films) | Region A
Video - 1080p Widescreen (2.35:1)
Audio - Uncompressed mono 1.0 PCM audio (English & Italian)
- NEW! 2K restoration of all five films, carried out by Arrow Films exclusively for this release!
- Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack!
- Audio commentary on If You Meet Sartana… Pray for Your Death by filmmaker Mike Siegel!
- Audio commentaries on I Am Sartana, Your Angel of Death and Have a Good Funeral My Friend… Sartana Will Pay by Spaghetti Western experts C. Courtney Joyner and Henry Parke!
- NEW! Gianfranco Parolini on If You Meet Sartana… Pray for Your Death - An all-new interview with the film's writer-director!
- NEW! Fabbio Piccioni on If You Meet Sartana… Pray for Your Death - A brand-new interview with the film's writer!
- NEW! Sal Borgese on I Am Sartana, Your Angel of Death and Light the Fuse… Sartana Is Coming - Two brand-new interviews with the actor!
- NEW! Ernesto Gastaldi on I Am Sartana, Your Angel of Death and Light the Fuse… Sartana Is Coming - Two brand-new interviews with the writer!
- NEW! Roberto Dell’Acqua on Have a Good Funeral My Friend… Sartana Will Pay - A brand-new interview with the actor!
- Sartana Lives - An archival featurette on Light the Fuse… Sartana Is Coming featuring interviews with actor Gianni Garko and director Giuliano Carnimeo!
- NEW! Sartana Shoots First - A brand-new interview with George Hilton on Sartana’s Here… Trade Your Pistol for a Coffin!
- NEW! Erika Blanc on Sartana’s Here… Trade Your Pistol for a Coffin - A brand-new interview with the actor!
- NEW! Tony Askin on Sartana’s Here… Trade Your Pistol for a Coffin - A brand-new interview with the actor!
- NEW! Video essay on the major actors and supporting players in the official Sartana films!
- Galleries of original promotional images from the Mike Siegal Archive for all five films!
- Limited edition packaging with reversible sleeves featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matthew Griffin!
- Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the films by Roberto Curti and an extensive Spaghetti Western timeline by Howard Hughes!
Post a Comment