A BRUCE LI CLASSIC AND, WHAT SOME HAVE DUBBED THE "WORST BRUCEPLOITATION FILM OF ALL TIME," MAKE THEIR BLU-RAY DEBUTS ON MAY 12TH & 15TH!
After the unexpected passing of Bruce Lee in 1973, there was a mad dash to fill the void he had left behind, resulting in a bizzaro film sub-genre known as "Bruceploitation." Various pretenders to Bruce's throne (e.g. Bruce Li, Bruce Le, Dragon Lee, Bruce Lai, Bruce Liang) earned lead roles in martial arts films that were made to capitalize on the popularity of the deceased martial arts superstar. Some of these include RE-ENTER THE DRAGON, BRUCE LEE FIGHTS BACK FROM THE GRAVE, THE CLONES OF BRUCE LEE, RETURN OF THE FISTS OF FURY, THE DRAGON LIVES AGAIN, and the two films I'm posting about today, namely DYNAMO and FIST OF FEAR, TOUCH OF DEATH!
DYNAMO is part of VCI's "Pearl River Collection" and features an all new 2K restoration of the Bruce Li vehicle with new bonus features! FIST OF FEAR, TOUCH OF DEATH from The Film Detective is limited to 1,500 copies and offers up a new 4K restoration (made from an original film print) and a making-of featurette! If either of these sound the slightest bit enticing, then continue reading to get the full details of both of these Bruceploitation "classics!"
DYNAMO (SPECIAL EDITION - 1978)
Synopsis: When a cab driver is discovered by corrupt producers as a successor to super star Bruce Lee, they find his rebellious and individual nature may be too much for even their massive enterprise to contain. This fan favorite in the sub-genre of Bruceploitation stars Ho Tsung-Tao (Bruce Li), Ku Feng, and Chiang Tao. DYNAMO was directed by THE SUPER INFRAMAN helmer, Hua Shan.
Not Rated | Color | 96 minutes | Region A
Video - 1080p Widescreen (2.35:1?)
Audio - English, Spanish, French, & German DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Mono (?)
- NEW! 2K RESTORATION OF ORIGINAL UNCUT 35MM ENGLISH PRINT!
- BONUS! 2K scan from a 16mm alternate cut!
- Audio commentary by filmmaker and Kung Fu Film fan Michael Worth (author of the Bruceploitation Bible) and UK radio sensation Iain Lee!
- Kung Fu Reborn: Featurette on restoration and preservation of Kung Fu film elements!
- Drawing Dynamo: featurette on cover artist Ian McEwan!
- Theatrical Trailer to Dynamo
- Film essays by Michael Worth and Bulletproof Cinema!
FIST OF FEAR, TOUCH OF DEATH (1980)
Synopsis: Action-packed FIST OF FEAR, TOUCH OF DEATH is celebrating its 40th anniversary like never before with a stunning 4K restoration and never before seen special features! This film was first presented in 1980 by veteran distributor and producer Terry Levene and director Matthew Mallinson. FIST OF FEAR, TOUCH OF DEATH places the 1979 World Karate Championship at center stage, where martial artists take their shot at eliminating the competition and claiming the title of “Successor to the Bruce Lee Legacy.”
FIST OF FEAR, TOUCH OF DEATH combines eye-popping combat scenes and archival footage of Lee himself, with mockumentary-style interviews hosted by Academy Award nominee Adolph Caesar and a martial arts masters Fred Williamson, Ron Van Clief, and more as they emerge from every corner of the martial arts world to give their take on whether any competitor could be deemed worthy of the Bruce Lee legacy.
Rated R | Color | 82 minutes | Region A
Video - 1080p Widescreen (1.85:1)
Audio - English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
- NEW! That's Bruceploitation - Original featurette including brand new interviews with FIST OF FEAR, TOUCH OF DEATH actors Fred Williamson and Ron Van Clief, producer Terry Levene, director Matthew Mallinson, and script writer Ron Harvey!
- Original theatrical trailer.
- BLU-RAY EXCLUSIVE: Collector's booklet featuring extended liner notes from Will Sloan and Justin Decloux, hosts of The Important Cinema Club Podast + authentic published stills and release cards form the original premiere!