ARROW VIDEO GIVES ONE OF THE 80'S LESSER SLASHER FILMS A BLU-RAY RELEASE TO BE PROUD OF!
For as long as I can remember, I have had a love/hate relationship with Edwin Brown's THE PREY. It was one of the earliest slasher films I watched, and while it does have its moments, it is honestly a chore to sit through. But every so often, I watch THE PREY again just to make sure I still hate it. So maybe, in some strange way.... I actually like this movie, because I've revisited it multiple times over the years. Perhaps that's why I'm suddenly so keen on owning Arrow's new Blu-ray which offers up a new 2K transfer, tons of new extras, and THREE CUTS OF THE FILM?! Whaaaaa?
Synopsis: One of the most underrated efforts to hail from the slice-and-dice boom, THE PREY at last emerges from the VHS wilderness in a brand new 2K restoration from the recently unearthed original camera negative!
Three young couples set off into the mountains for a weekend of climbing, drinking, and lovemaking. But little do they know that they are stumbling into the terrain of a fearsome predator – a wild man, horrifically burned as a child many years ago in a fire which engulfed his gypsy camp and left only him alive. Now he roams the woods in search of his next human prey.
Filmed in 1979-1980 – making it a contemporary, rather than an imitator, of the likes of FRIDAY THE 13TH – but not released until 1983 when it was picked up by New World Pictures, THE PREY is a unique woodsy slasher gem ripe for reappraisal in this extras-packed, 40th anniversary edition!
Rated R | Color | 80 minutes (theatrical cut) | Region A
Video - 1080p Widescreen (1.85:1)
Audio - English LPCM Mono
- NEW! 2K restoration of the filmmaker-approved US Theatrical Cut from the original camera negative!
- NEW! Audio commentary with producer Summer Brown!
- NEW! Audio commentary with Amanda Reyes and Ewan Cant!
- Audio Interview with director Edwin Scott Brown!
- NEW! On-camera interview with actress Debbie Thureson!
- NEW! Brand new on-camera interview with actress Lori Lethin!
- NEW! Brand new on-camera interview with actor Carel Struycken!
- NEW! Brand new on-camera interview with actor Jackson Bostwick!
- NEW! In Search of The Prey – Ewan Cant and actress Debbie Thureson revisit the original shooting locations in Idyllwild, California!
- NEW! Q&A from Texas Frightmare Weekend 2019 with Lori Lethin, Carel Struycken, and Jackson Bostwick!
- NEW! Texas Frightmare Weekend 2019 Audience Reaction Track!
- VHS Trailer and TV Spot
- Original Script (BD-ROM Content)
- NEW! 2K restoration of the International Cut featuring the infamous "gyspy flashback" footage, added at a later date by the producers without the approval of the original filmmakers
- NEW! Composite Cut combining footage from both the US Theatrical and International Cuts, for the ultimate The Prey fan experience!
- NEW! Extended Outtakes reel – 45 mins of never-before-seen outtakes!
LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVES:
- Exclusive slipcover featuring original UK home video artwork!
- Reversible sleeve featuring newly commissioned artwork by Justin Osbourn!
- Limited edition booklet featuring new writing on the film by Ewan Cant!