ON NOVEMBER 26TH, GIVE THE GIFT OF ROBOCOP TO YOURSELF WITH ARROW VIDEO'S FANTASTIC NEW LIMITED EDITION AND STEELBOOK RELEASES!
Verhoeven's ROBOCOP occupies a top spot in my list of all-time favorite films, and it's one of the few titles I've repurchased on multiple formats because I love this film so much and feel compelled to own the very best version available! And now that version is here! Arrow Video recently unveiled their Steelbook and Limited Edition of ROBOCOP and I gotta say... until an extras-packed 4K UHD release comes out, this is the be all, end all release of a film that is still ridiculously relevant today, as it was over thirty years ago! Now brace yourself Robo-Fans because it's time to dive into the specs and extras for this must-have release!
Synopsis: RoboCop marked director Paul Verhoeven’s (FLESH + BLOOD, STARSHIP TROOPERS, TOTAL RECALL) Hollywood debut and instantly became an enduring sci-fi/action classic when it landed in theaters in the summer of 1987. Verhoeven’s peerlessly exciting and kinetic visuals were matched by a sharp script, iconic cast and exceptional special effects by Rob Bottin (THE THING) and Phil Tippett (THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK).
The film takes place in Detroit in the not-too-distant future. Heroic cop Alex Murphy (Peter Weller - OF UNKNOWN ORIGIN, LEVIATHAN, BUCKAROO BANZAI: ACROSS THE 8TH DIMENSION) is gunned down in the line of duty, only to be resurrected as RoboCop – a cybernetic mix of spare human parts and Motor City steel, and the latest defense against crime designed by the all-powerful OCP Corporation. As RoboCop’s memories of his former life as Murphy resurface, only his ex-partner (Nancy Allen - ROBOCOP 2, ROBOCOP 3, DRESSED TO KILL) stands beside him to fight against the vicious thugs responsible for his death, as well as a nefarious top-level OCP executive orchestrating the chaos from above.
Rated R | Color | 102 minutes | Region A
Video - 1080p Widescreen (1.85:1)
Audio - English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, DTS-HD Master Audio 4.0, & LPCM 2.0
DISC ONE – DIRECTOR’S CUT
- 4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative by MGM, transferred in 2013 and approved by director Paul Verhoeven!
- Archival commentary by director Paul Verhoeven, executive producer Jon Davison and co-writer Ed Neumeier (originally recorded for the Theatrical Cut and re-edited in 2014 for the Director’s Cut)!
- NEW! Audio commentary by film historian Paul M. Sammon!
- NEW! Audio commentary by fans Christopher Griffiths, Gary Smart, and Eastwood Allen!
- NEW! The Future of Law Enforcement: Creating RoboCop - An interview with co-writer Michael Miner!
- NEW! RoboTalk - A conversation between co-writer Ed Neumeier and filmmakers David Birke (writer of Elle) and Nick McCarthy (director of Orion Pictures’ The Prodigy)!
- NEW! Truth of Character - An interview with star Nancy Allen on her role as Lewis!
- NEW! Casting Old Detroit - An interview with casting director Julie Selzer on how the film’s ensemble cast was assembled!
- NEW! Connecting the Shots - An interview with second unit director and frequent Verhoeven collaborator Mark Goldblatt!
- NEW! Composing RoboCop - A tribute to composer Basil Poledouris featuring film music experts Jeff Bond, Lukas Kendall, Daniel Schweiger and Robert Townson
- NEW! RoboProps, a newly filmed tour of super-fan Julien Dumont’s collection of original props and memorabilia
- 2012 Q&A with the Filmmakers, a panel discussion featuring Verhoeven, Davison, Neumeier, Miner, Allen, star Peter Weller, and animator Phil Tippett!
- RoboCop: Creating a Legend, Villains of Old Detroit and Special Effects: Then & Now, and three archival featurettes from 2007 featuring interviews with cast and crew!
- Paul Verhoeven Easter Egg
- Four deleted scenes!
- The Boardroom: Storyboard with Commentary by Phil Tippett!
- Director’s Cut Production Footage - Raw dailies from the filming of the unrated gore scenes!
- Two theatrical trailers and three TV spots
- Extensive image galleries
DISC TWO – THEATRICAL CUT
- Archival commentary by director Paul Verhoeven, executive producer Jon Davison and co-writer Ed Neumeier (originally recorded for Theatrical version of the film)!
- NEW! Two Isolated Score tracks (Composer’s Original Mix and Final Theatrical Mix) in lossless stereo!
- NEW! Edited-for-television version of the film, featuring alternate dubs, takes and edits of several scenes (95 mins, SD only)!
- NEW! Split screen comparison of Theatrical and Director’s Cuts!
- NEW! Robocop: Edited For Television - A compilation of alternate scenes from two edited-for-television versions, newly transferred in HD from recently-unearthed 35mm elements!
- Newly commissioned artwork by Paul Shipper!
- Six collector’s postcards!
- Double-sided, fold-out poster!
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork!
- Limited edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Omar Ahmed, Christopher Griffiths and Henry Blyth, a 1987 Fangoria interview with Rob Bottin, and archive publicity materials!
OH. MY. GOD! Honestly, mere weeks ago, yours truly was (foolishly) stating that Arrow couldn't possibly make me buy this film again, but boy was I wrong! Though it appears that they are using the same 4K restoration that MGM did back in 2013, Arrow is including THREE audio options, THREE cuts of the film, all of the previous featurettes from MGM's last release, and (as you've already seen) tons of new special features exclusive to both the Limited Edition and the gorgeous Steelbook!
If you know someone who is a big fan of ROBOCOP, or if you yourself are in love with this movie, then you best order it now! The Limited Edition currently costs $32 - $50 and can be procured from AMAZON, BULL MOOSE, DIABOLIK DVD, or directly from ARROW VIDEO!
The Steelbook (which has all of the extras, but none of the bells and whistles like the lobby cards, booklet, and poster) is also in the $32 - $50 range and can be purchased from AMAZON, BULL MOOSE, DIABOLIK DVD, or ARROW VIDEO!
Post a Comment